Odense is screaming for more women in the tech/IT industry! But why is the industry dominated by men? What are the prejudices about women and IT and what can we do to make our daughters more creative within IT?
These were some of the questions we asked four awesome digital ladies when we held Ladies:Meet, Techsalon in Odense. We were visited by:
LISBETH CHAWES – Partner Director at Komfo
SABINA KETHELZ – CEO CIP Consulting Group
SOFIE WOGE – Founder & CEO at Tendo and
KAMILLA HARRITSØ – Head of R&D in Fynske Media
In addition to the four inspiring pitches, there was a panel debate led by Co-Lady Sine Larsen.
The four women’s suggestions on how we get more women in the tech industry were:
- We are role models for our children. Mom may as well fix the problems on the iPad as dad can. Include the children in technology so that they learn the digital rules.
- Be good at communicating – it’s often what it’s about. IT is not printed circuit boards and encoding, it is also about translating something complex into something easily understood.
- Women are very skilled in creating and maintaining relationships – and that is needed in the industry. Women can do something that men can’t. It appears that companies with women in senior management have a better bottom line.
- Tech women are the new gold!
- Do not be afraid to fail. We must fail before we can succeed. Failure = success.
What do you do if you want a job in the IT industry?
- Just search for it!
- Set conditions and forget your concerns!
- Believe in yourself – Men may exaggerate a little while looking for new jobs. Turn up for the charm ladies!
- Use your network – 80% of all posts are not published, they are occupied via networks.
- Take advantage of the fact that there is currently focus on more women in tech.
- Match your expectations with the home front if you want a job that will require a lot of you – you can have family and career at the same time.
- You don’t have to be perfect in everything, it’s also ok to be the second mover.
- If you have a problem and can not do anything about it – take it easy. Everything will be ok.
The conclusion of what to do if you want to apply for a job in the IT industry is: JUST DO IT! You are brave – and you can. Last but not least – you are wanted and missed!
By Christina Merete Tvede Madsen, Co-Lady of Ladies First X Odense.
Want to be a part of Ladies First X Odense? Join the community on Facebook here!